- Provide the manager with support at each stage of the integration process : discovering the new organization, establishing legitimacy and credibility, adapting his/her management style.
- Alternating coaching styles, adapting the input to the specific needs expressed by the manager-coachee
- Empower the manager-coachee to take responsibility for his/her long-term development.
A new manager, catapulted into a new world with a very precise mission, faces a number of obstacles and challenges for which coaching would certainly provide assistance.
Strategic coaching: Construct the change strategy
How to help the manager perform the mission for which (s)he has been hired?
- Socio-dynamic analysis of the organization.
- Psychological analysis of stakeholders: determine who are the potential allies and who will be more difficult to win over.
- Discover the culture of the company.
Personal coaching: supporting the highly-challenged manager
How to give the new manager pointers and satisfy his/her need for recognition in this environment that may appear hostile at first?
- Sustained rhythm of coaching: at least three times a month.
- Pay special attention to the experience that the coachee is going through.
- Obtain a more objective vision of the actions undertaken by the manager-coachee in order to enable him/her to be more aware of success achieved.
On-the-job coaching: professional development
How to keep developing the manager once (s)he has started work in the new job?
- A new environment may render certain management styles unsuitable.
- Help the manager to adapt his/her style to the context.
- Leadership development (e.g. interpersonal relations …)
- Smooth transition into the new job for the manager = greater efficiency for the organization.
- Acceptance of change led by the new manager by dint of his/her credibility & legitimacy.
- Development of the manager:
- More self-assured, assuming the outcome of his/her decisions, motivated by a precise, conscious goal.
- Creation of a community of managers having shared the same experience.